Copyright

All works on this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the author Missy H. (aka M. Hull). Please do not use any posts without permission of blog author. You can contact me via email.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Copyright Infringement 2

I got an email from a designer regarding my older post on Copyright Infringement. They really liked it and said it was well written (however I re-read it and see quite a few errors...ahhh that's what I get for being a writer LOL) The designer also included 2 logo pictures for me, 1 large and 1 small that are being launched to help make people aware of the repercussions of copyright infringement within the needlework industry. Here are the designer's words about this logo and what it will be used for.

"You will see this popping up in various places very soon – it is part of an international designers copyright awareness movement with over 90 designers and copyright agents. People can report suspected infringements to specific designers and/or if it involves various designers to needleworkdesigners@gmail.com where it will be investigated.

Thanks again for your support,



I like how this logo gives the viewer a list of ways to help ensure copyright is not infringed. Specially how it talks about posting pictures of finished pieces as I had wondered if people could (and would) copy the pictures to turn into charts, rather than buy the chart themselves. (The above picture as well as the one on the right hand side are linked to the email address I was given) I know that some people do not consider copyright infringement that big of a deal, but I do. I think it comes from being a writer and having many of my works stolen and presented as someone else's work. I am quite happy to post this logo on my blog to help others learn more about copyright infringement and ways to help combat it so that they may continue to enjoy the vast array of designs that are currently available in the needlework industry.


I really appreciate the offer of a free chart as a present. Part of me would just love to say YES! (OK I am human, so sue me LOL). But as before, I did not report the violations I found in order to receive presents. I did not post on this blog before and now this post, nor did I add the logos to receive presents. So I replied with the same words I gave Mr. Saastad from Silver Lining "If you wish to send a free pattern I would be very grateful, but it is not necessary in any way. I did not do this in the hopes of receiving free things, or in the hopes of getting some kind of compensation. I did it because I dislike people who do things like this as I know how negatively it affects the cross stitch design business which is already competitive enough without having people deliberately making it harder."




2 comments:

  1. Missy,
    Would you mind emailing me the HTML so that I can post the copyright logos to my blog? My address is bethxs@yahoo.com. I think it's important for others to realize that it is a threat to our beloved craft.

    Thank you!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sorry to hear about your recent issues, if there is anything that I can do, feel free to let me know. I'll gladly help in any way that I can.

    Best of luck with these issues. I honestly don't know what good the logos will do, but I hope that they help.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my internet home for my crafts. I appreciate your taking the time to visit and/or comment.

If you have any questions (looking for designer information of a piece I'm stitching, how to do cross stitch etc. ) please feel free to contact me. You will find my email address in my profile and I will do my best to either answer your question, or find information that can help you get your answer.

Thank you again for the visit and I hope you have a great day!

Sincerely,
Missy (aka Raven)