Copyright

All works on this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the author Missy H. (aka M. Hull). Please do not use any posts without permission of blog author. You can contact me via email.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

June SBQ

Lee, Lake Stitcher, has posted the June Stitching Blogger Question and here it is.

Tell us about something that you have stitched or plan to stitch for any father in your life.  Maybe it’s for your father, your father-in-law, your children’s father, your grandfather, your godfather, or someone who was or still is an important father-figure in your life.  Why did you choose this particular piece of stitching?   Tell us the story behind it.

 I was adopted at the age of 2 so I will talk about both my adoptive father, who died last summer, and my biological father. I have never stitched for either of them. I have had a few phone calls with my biological father but due to his requests of me (I was 24 or 25 at the time) which were WAY out of line, I never went to meet him and have not talked with him since. My adoptive father and I, well we were not close, mostly because I was not his biological child. As was said at his funeral "He had unconditional love for (his wife, bio daughter, her husband, their 2 sons) ... and was fond of Missy and (one of my bio brothers who was adopted with me, the other who died was not named at all) " So no stitching for either of them. 

I have plans to stitch 4 Tinkerbell squares and then make them into a small quilt for my father in law as he really likes Tinkerbell. I don't know when I'll get them done as I have become a very slow stitcher, but I would like to do it soon. I'm not sure if the charts are good or not as I got them off e-bay, so I am hoping they are decent. I love my in-laws so much. They have accepted me in a way that the family I was raised with never has.


I have only stitched two things for people who are fathers, my DH and a close friend of mine from Arizona, Marty. For DH I stitched the wizard I turned into a wall quilt for him. I did it because he loves wizards and he really liked the design. It took about a year, but came out beautifully. It was my first time using Kreniek braid, blending filament, couching and beads, but I loved the effect!


Marty loves hummingbirds and roses. I stitched a wreath of roses with a hummingbird in the middle. This is one of the designs that won a ribbon at the county fair in Arizona. I was surprised to win a ribbon, but considering how detailed the design was I am no longer surprised by it. I was still fairly new to stitching and from what I have learned since, that was a pretty tough design with lots of floss changes in small areas. He says it hangs in his office and whenever he has moved the office to a new room, this is the first thing to move. I am glad that he still likes it.





Often times we identify our love of needlework and our skills with our mothers or grandmothers or other women.  It’s understandable because often they were are first teachers or role models.  Now let’s think about our stitching life as it relates to our dads.  Is there anything about our approach to stitching that we can recognize as traits of our fathers?  For instance, does your dad (or any other important man in your life) have an approach to one of his interests that you can observe and think, “Hey….if I substitute the word “needlework” for “fly fishing”, we’d be pretty darn similar!”  So tell us about it.

I can't really answer this as I do not know my biological father and my adoptive father and I did not get along very well. But I can say that I have learned many things from my DH in our (just under) 10 years together. I have learned more patience than I had before, how to let things go easier, better control of my temper, and to be more secure with myself along with lots of other things. As for stitching, I would say that I approach my stitching in a similar way to how he approaches reading news articles; read many different articles on the same topic to find out anything you may have missed.

Crap..I have to go..have a doctor appointment in 30 minutes and I'm running late!

See ya!

3 comments:

  1. Hope the doc appointment goes well! Family dynamics sure can be ood huh? My husband's stepmother announced up front at my father-in-law's funeral when it was over , that she never wanted to see any of us ever again. Considering how she was, it suited us just fine,just maybe not the time or place to have said so.

    Stitching looks great! I think I actually get my love of needlework from my mother's side of the family. Both her parents quilted and my granfather was a basket maker.My third great grandfather was a tailor and made men's suits. I'm really not surprised with all of that talent , that i would be crafty too! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah family dynamics can be very odd. I will say I am grateful to my adopted parents for giving me great examples of what not to do as a parent. For the most part I did not repeat any of their errors and as a result I have very close relationships with my daughter and my son.

    I agree, that is not the right time to say something like that to other people. :(

    WOW, with all that talent in your family it is no wonder your stitching is so gorgeous!

    Thanks for the comment Sharlotte. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Raven, I am not stitching anything for Father's Day this year but did crochet an afghan for my father for his B'day -- July 3rd. He will be 85 this year. He is a wonderful man and taught me many things through life. I am sorry that you were not given the same blessings from your father. take care

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my internet home for my crafts. I appreciate your taking the time to visit and/or comment.

If you have any questions (looking for designer information of a piece I'm stitching, how to do cross stitch etc. ) please feel free to contact me. You will find my email address in my profile and I will do my best to either answer your question, or find information that can help you get your answer.

Thank you again for the visit and I hope you have a great day!

Sincerely,
Missy (aka Raven)