Copyright

All works on this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the author Missy H. (aka M. Hull). Please do not use any posts without permission of blog author. You can contact me via email.

Friday, October 3, 2008

Pic As Promised and Blackwork Winter

Here is a picture I took this morning of Blackwork Winter by Tam's Creations. I did some more stitching over night as my back was keeping me awake with pain. I added the border for the 3rd row in the upper right corner of chart, and started the final round of snowflakes and poinsettias. I am really enjoying working on this piece!

2008 Oct 2 blackwork winter

Today's stitching project is supposed to be Woodland Fairy by Teresa Wentzler, but it is a rainy day here and my back is just screaming. So I think I will stick with Blackwork Winter as it better fits my available concentration level.

Don't forget to check out my last post Breast Cancer Awareness for the contest!

Henny asked me a question in my comments so I'm going to go ahead and answer it. She asked why blackwork is called blackwork when it is often done in colors other than black. It is believed to originate with the Moors and Arabs, who brought it to England in the 13th century. It is also believed that the Spanish princess Katharine of Aragon brought blackwork to England with her in 1501. It was also called Spanish Work, but the term blackwork replaced it somewhere after Katharineand Henry the VIIIth's divorce. It was most often done with black silk, on white fabric so it would give the appearance of lace since actual lace was too expensive. It was also used to reinforce collars, cuffs and hems of clothing as well as to mark household items such as sheets, tablecloths, etc. As time went on people started using different colors, such as metallics on dresses, cloaks and other clothing. I hope that helps Henny. I just love the way blackwork looks. A design looks real complicated, but it truly wasn't. I just like the crisp lines of it as well and the geometric shapes.

Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for visiting my internet home for my crafts. I appreciate your taking the time to visit and/or comment.

If you have any questions (looking for designer information of a piece I'm stitching, how to do cross stitch etc. ) please feel free to contact me. You will find my email address in my profile and I will do my best to either answer your question, or find information that can help you get your answer.

Thank you again for the visit and I hope you have a great day!

Sincerely,
Missy (aka Raven)